GitHub Copilot is an AI-based tool that helps developers write code faster and more efficiently. It uses machine learning algorithms to analyze code that a developer is working on and suggest code snippets, functions, and classes that help developers complete their work quickly and with fewer errors. It can even write complete functions and smaller programs on its own.
We believe this is the future of software development, which is why GitHub Copilot is effectively incorporated in our software development workflow. We have also built our own AI on top of the same models that were the basis of Copilot and ChatGPT to further aid our developers.
In this blog post, we’ll talk about the advantages of using this tool and how it benefits you as a business owner outsourcing your software development to us.
Benefits of using GitHub Copilot
1. Increased productivity: By suggesting code snippets and solutions based on the developer's context and needs, GitHub Copilot helps accelerate the coding process, resulting in increased productivity. Our team has noticed a significant reduction (on average around 20-30%) in the time it takes to complete the tasks where Copilot is used, resulting in much faster development which of course lowers prices.
2. Improved code quality: GitHub Copilot offers code suggestions that follow best practices and adhere to established coding standards. This results in higher quality and often a more efficient code, as well as improved legibility and maintainability.
3. Streamlined collaboration: With GitHub Copilot's code suggestions, our developers can gain insights and knowledge from the AI's extensive understanding of code patterns. This helps save time that would have been spent on researching or consulting with teammates. Moreover, GitHub Copilot encourages and fosters a consistent coding style across the team, making it easier for team members to collaborate and understand each other's work.
4. Continuous learning: GitHub Copilot's AI is powered by OpenAI Codex, which is learning and improving based on the code it encounters. This means that it will get better over time, ensuring that you continue to reap the benefits of AI supported development.
5. Documentation: Copilot requires developers to explain in clear text what they want to develop, much like when you use ChatGPT. This explanation forms a part of the software documentation resulting in less development time and better documented applications. A clear win-win.
Set reasonable expectations
GitHub Copilot is a powerful tool that is revolutionizing the way we do software development, but it is still not perfect.
It may not always provide the exact solution that a developer needs, and in some cases, it might even suggest inappropriate code. It’s not a magic solution that can fully replace skilled developers. Rather, it's a tool that can help developers work more efficiently and effectively. In fact, it is precisely in conjunction with our skilled and experienced developers that we get great results.
We also make sure to regularly collect feedback from our teams to learn what works and what doesn't. This allows us to make necessary adjustments and ensure that the tool continues to provide value to our projects.
By integrating GitHub Copilot into our existing AI driven development processes, we see an increase in productivity, streamlined collaboration, and continuous quality improvements.
If you’re interested in how this can help you save time and money in your software development project, contact us today.